How often should you clean your aircon?
Cleaning your aircon regularly is essential to ensure that it runs efficiently and effectively. The frequency of cleaning depends on various factors such as usage, the environment, and the unit type. As a rule of thumb, we recommend availing an aircon cleaning service every 3 to 4 months for residential units. For AC units used in businesses, aircon cleaning should be done at least every 3 months.
Window type aircons are usually easier to clean than split type aircons as they’re more accessible. A split type aircon is more complex to clean since it has multiple parts, such as the indoor unit, outdoor unit, and the tubing that connects them. We highly suggest hiring a certified technician to properly and safely clean an aircon of any size and type.
You can easily book a professional technician with Teko at any time and receive quality service.
Signs that you need aircon cleaning
When you notice these signs, it’s time to book a professional aircon service:
- Weak airflow: If you notice that your aircon is producing weak or inconsistent airflow, it may be a sign that the air filters or other components are clogged with dust or dirt.
- Foul smell: If there's a musty or unpleasant odor coming from your aircon, it may be due to mold or bacteria buildup inside the unit, which requires cleaning.
- Strange noises: If you hear unusual sounds such as rattling, buzzing, or grinding noises coming from your aircon, there might be a loose part or a clogged drain line.
- Increased electric bills: If you notice an increase in your bills without any change in your usage patterns, it may be due to a dirty or clogged aircon that's working harder than usual to cool your space.
- Poor cooling performance: If your aircon is taking longer than usual to cool your space, or if the temperature doesn't feel as cool as it should be, it may be due to dirty or clogged components that need cleaning.
A certified technician should be able to inform you if the cleaning service will resolve the issue or if your unit requires further repair.
Aircon maintenance tips
- Clean or replace the air filter regularly: Dirty air filters can reduce your aircon's efficiency and cause it to work harder than necessary, increasing your electric bills. We recommend cleaning filters every month.
- Make sure the unit is shaded: Provide shade for the unit if it receives direct sunlight. This is to prevent it from overheating and reducing its efficiency.
- Keep the outdoor unit clear: Ensure that the outdoor unit is free of debris, such as leaves, grass, or twigs, which can obstruct the airflow and reduce your aircon's efficiency.
- Schedule regular maintenance: To prevent costly repairs, set up a professional annual maintenance service. You may sign up for our Annual Maintenance Plan and take advantage of our automated reminders, easy online tracking, and discounts.